We are ready for summer and we’re kicking it off with freshly baked blueberry muffins. These muffins scream SUNSHINE to me. I think its because of the “secret” ingredient I added. 🙂
1/2 c. softened butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. milk
2 c. blueberries, washed & drained
1 tsp lemon zest (<<< Secret sunshine ingredient!)
3 tsp sugar
TIP: (Need to soften butter quickly? Pour scalding hot water over a metal or ceramic bowl until the heat transfers. Cover the butter with the bowl. Repeat as needed.)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tins and spray with oil.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- While butter and sugar are mixing, IN A SEPARATE BOWL sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the eggs and vanilla while continuously beating on low.
- Slowly add dry mix and milk in an alternating fashion.
- Split the blueberries in half. Take one batch and lightly toss them in flour, making sure excess is removed. Take the other batch and lightly crush with a fork.
- The flour on the whole blueberries keeps them from sinking. Crushing the other berries helps make the blueberry flavor strong.
- Scoop batter into the muffin tins. Lightly sprinkle remaining sugar on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Enjoy and Indulge!